Winter is Here! Prepare Yourself and Your Car for the Snow with These Winter Driving Tips
Drive safely this winter!
The winter season is here! Be prepared for driving in the winter weather with these wintertime safe driving tips!
- If you’re tired pull over. Drowsy driving is dangerous, especially in winter weather.
- Take proper care of your tires. Make sure that the tire pressure is good and be sure to carry snow chains with you.
- Make sure you always have at least a half tank of gas. Any less may contribute to a gas line freeze up.
- Try not to use your parking brake in cold weather unless it’s absolutely necessary.
- When driving in slippery conditions, drive with extra caution and avoid using cruise control.
- Always use your seat belt! Slippery conditions increase your risk for an accident and a seat belt will help keep you safe.
- In snowy, icy conditions, drive slowly! Give yourself approximately 10 seconds of space between you and the car in front of you.
- Give yourself plenty of time. Because you’ll be driving more slowly, it will likely take longer to reach your destination. Plus, winter weather tends to increase traffic.
- Keep an emergency kit in you car in the event you get stranded. Include food, water, lots of blankets, a flashlight with extra batteries, a first aid kit, and flares.
- If you do get stranded in a snow storm, stay put. Don’t try wandering. You may get lost and freezing temperatures pose a health risk.
- If you don’t have to go out, don’t. Stay home and avoid winter driving – and all its risks – altogether.
For added protection, invest in an auto insurance policy. Contact the professionals at East End Insurance Agency today. Located in Southold, New York, we serve all your personal and commercial insurance needs!Tags: auto insurance, drive slowly, East End Insurance Agency, New York, personal and commercial insurance, policy, safe driving tips, slippery conditions, snow, Southold, winter driving, winter season, winter weather, wintertime