Stay Safe in the Sun This Summer
Learn how you can protect yourself from the sun.
Now that summer is here, you can expect days drenched in endless sunshine. While there’s nothing like a dose of sunlight to brighten your day, it’s important to remember that exposure to the sun can pose some serious health risks. If you want to protect yourself, then take these precautions while you are out in the summer sun.
Shield Your Eyes and Skin
Prolonged exposure to sunlight can wreak havoc on your eyes and skin. For instance, it can result in cosmetic issues such as freckles, sun spots, and wrinkles. More seriously, it can cause issues such as eye damage, sun burn, and even skin cancer. If you want to protect against these risks, here are some of the safety tips you should try this summer:
- Try to avoid being outside between 10 am-2pm, as this is when the sun tends to be shining the brightest.
- Always wear sunscreen of at least SPF 30 when you are out in the sun. You should be careful to reapply every 80 minutes, or more frequently if you are in the water or sweating profusely.
- Protect your skin by wearing wide brimmed hats, sleeved shirts, and pants.
- You should protect your eyes from damaging rays by donning sunglasses with total UV protection.
When you are out in the summer heat, it’s also important that you stay hydrated and keep your body temperature as low as possible. Becoming dehydrated and getting too warm can result in serious heat-related medical conditions such as heat stroke. As heat stroke can prove fatal if left untreated, it’s important that you take precautions while out in the sun this summer. Here are some of the steps you should take:
- Avoid vigorous physical activity during the peak heat of the day.
- If you are going to be outside in the sun for an extended period of time, make sure you carry copious amounts of water and drink regularly to stay hydrated.
- Look out for any signs of heat stroke such as throbbing headache, dizziness, inability to sweat, nausea, vomiting, rapid heartbeat, and so on. If you notice any of these symptoms in yourself or in a companion, then seek medical attention to ensure that the condition does not worsen.
Take these steps to stay safe while out in the sun this summer. Want another way to take care of yourself this season? Then make sure you have the right personal insurance protections in place. To find the right policies to meet your needs, contact the experts at East End Insurance Agency in Southold, New York. We are ready to get you covered today.Tags: Stay Safe in the Sun This Summer