Safely enjoy your Thanksgiving with this guide.
Your kitchen is the heart of your home, and it is very apparent on Thanksgiving. With family members from out of town wanting to help prepare the meal, something can easily go wrong. To ensure that this holiday does not end in disaster, keep these Thanksgiving home safety tips in mind.
- Whenever you are cooking something on the stovetop, stay in the kitchen so that you can keep an eye on your food and prevent any fires.
- While you don’t have to stay in your kitchen while you are cooking your turkey, you should not leave your house.
- Keep children away from the stove to prevent any injuries. Create a safety zone that is 3 feet wide that children have to stay out of.
- Keep the kitchen floor clear of any obstacles that may cause you to trip and fall, including toys, pets, and purses.
- Keep all knives out of reach of children. Do not keep any extra knives out that you are not using to avoid any injuries.
- Do not let any electric cords from a coffee maker, electric knife, mixer, or plate warmer hang off the counter where they can easily be pulled by kids.
- Keep lighters and matches out of reach of children by keeping them locked in a high cabinet.
- Test your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms to ensure that they are properly working and will keep your family safe.
Before your family and friends start arriving to celebrate the holiday, look over your homeowners insurance policy to ensure that it is providing the right amount of protection. Contact East End Insurance in Southold, New York for all of your home insurance coverage needs.